Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Monday 1 April 2013

On a Wordpress.com post can you 'reprime' the autopost-to-Twitter function?

Thanks to Posterous shutting down I now have several of my blogs at Wordpress.com and I must say I'm very happy with them in their new home. One thing that I've not worked out how to do relates to the autopost function.

If you link your Wordpress blog to your Twitter account then when you draft a new post there's an automatic thing set in place (which you can disable for individual posts of course) that will, once you press publish, publish a note about your post to the relevant Twitter account. You can also edit the tweet that will be sent (by default it's the title plus the link to the published post).

This means that for each post you get one tweet sent through the blog's linked Twitter account. How can I arrange things so that I can send out another tweet from the linked Twitter account?

It's easy for me to copy and paste the post's title and URL and send it from *my* Twitter account but I want it to come from a different one (eg @ScicommJobs).

On Posterous if you were logged in you could hover over any post you'd written and click the Autopost link - this would send a tweet not from your own account (eg I'd be logged in to Twitter as @JoBrodie) but from the appropriately linked account (@ScicommJobs).

I'd like to be able to do this on the Wordpress blogs - is is possible? Does it involve a widget or is it not possible with the basic WP.com blog hosting, as opposed to the self-hosting business?

Just to be absolutely clear about the different types of tweets
1. Re-sending an autopost from Wordpress.com through the Twitter account that is linked to it rather than my main Twitter account - that's the one I'm after
2. 'Tweet this' - which lets anyone send a tweet about a blog post, through whatever Twitter account they're logged in with (I'm not interested in that).

2 comments:

  1. I have a twitterfeed.com account and three twitter profiles. One profile is my personal one, @EpiRen, where I tweet about science and such. @RunRen is where I interact with runners and other athletes, and post my wordpress blog posts about running and fitness. @Pacomentario is my Spanish twitter feed.

    I have one wordpress blog at epidemiological.net. Depending on the category, twitterfeed.com helps me tweet accordingly. I just get the RSS feed for each category and use twitterfeed to auto post from that feed to the appropriate twitter account.

    Maybe that can help you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ren - a third-party app is always an option but I can't help thinking that Wordpress might have thought about this and supplied that function. Posterous did, so it surprises me that they don't (or that I've not found it).

      Delete

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).